With Google Analytics 4 (GA4), you will now be able to store your data in Google BigQuery which opens up lots of interesting possibilities with your data. Ask questions of your data with SQL.
Query: How many users per day by device?
with user_device as( select event_date, count (distinct user_pseudo_id) as user_count, max(if(device.category in ('mobile'),1,0)) as is_mobile, max(if(device.category in ('desktop'),1,0)) as is_desktop, max(if(device.category in ('tablet'),1,0)) as is_tablet from `bigquery-public-data.ga4_obfuscated_sample_ecommerce.events_*` where _table_suffix between '20210101' and '20210107' group by event_date, user_pseudo_id ) select event_date, sum(user_count) as users, sum(is_mobile) as mobile_users, sum(is_desktop) as desktop_users, sum(is_tablet) as tablet_users from user_device group by event_date order by event_date asc
- All queries reference the BigQuery sample GA4 data set. You can try this for free and Google provides a substantial free credit.
- The dataset contains data from 1 Nov 2020 to 31 Jan 2021.
- You will need to update the data source if you want to use this query with your own data.
- You can update the date range to suit your needs. I have chosen 1 Jan 2021 to 7 Jan 2021 for this example.
- Occasionally the results may not line up perfectly when querying this sample dataset.
Want to learn how to get more from your data? Get in touch with me on LinkedIn.